Water damage is a major headache for homeowners. Water damage can affect everything from your home’s appearance to its structural integrity. It is also difficult to fix and costly.Water damage can also come from many different sources. Water damage can be caused by flooding, sewer problems and leaking pipes. There are many ways to Water damage repair.
This article will help you understand how to repair water damage, when to hire a professional, and what factors determine the impact of the water damage.Disconnect the outlets in the area as soon as you see water damage. All electrical power must be disconnected if the flooding is all over the house. We recommend calling in a professional.
Remove the screws from the outlet faceplate using the correct screwdriver. After removing the screws, use a screwdriver or other small tool to pull the plugs and cables toward you. Note: The tool that you choose should not be all metal and you shouldn’t touch the metal part of the tool. You may end up with a compromised wire or the possibility of electrocution. You may have to use wire cutters if there aren’t any wire clips.
This may seem extreme but it is often hard to determine the extent of damage from water with just a glance. If the water damage is small, you may only need to disconnect outlets in the room or immediate area, if the damage does not appear to be widespread. If you do not disconnect electrical outlets or other devices, there is a risk of electrocution.
Look for mold in all areas of your home. Mold can grow quickly in water damage, especially when it’s contaminated blackwater or greywater. Wear a mask whenever you are near mold, as some molds can be toxic. Shut off all airflow in your house if you find mold. Mold spores are spread by ventilation systems. We recommend that you call a professional as soon as possible if you see a large mold infestation.
After you have disconnected the outlets, and you’ve determined that there are no molds in the area, you can begin drying the affected areas. This could be as easy as using towels to soak up the water after a leaky pipe, or as complex as requiring professional help.
Remove from the home any items that are not able to get wet but were affected by the source of water damage. You’ll need to remove any affected furniture, especially if it is upholstered. Also, carpet and insulation should be removed. Porous surfaces can be more susceptible to water damage, and are also prime areas for mold growth. It is important to remove these items prior to mold setting in.
You should disinfect the affected area before you begin the repair. Even if the water damage was caused by freshwater, the contaminants it stirred up in the area can cause mold growth and other side effects.You should only attempt DIY water damage repairs if the area affected is small. Once you have confirmed that there is no mold or dangerous growth in the area, and you have disinfected it, you can remove the affected part. As an example, if you were to remove the affected portion of a cabinet by sawing it out and replacing it with particle board, this would be the best solution. Replace affected areas of drywall or plaster walls using a similar method.
Repairing water damage can be difficult. It can be hard to determine whether you should repair the damage yourself, even if it seems minor. We recommend that you call a handyman if you are ever unsure. Handymen are capable of performing a wide range of home repairs and possess the necessary knowledge to get the job done right.